Monday, February 22, 2010

How a Moth Becomes a Boat

A beautiful hand written letter came in the post a few days ago, it was from Josephine Rowe, a short story writer and poet and someone with lovely hand writing. She also sent me a copy of her self-published book of short stories 'how a moth becomes a boat' which I had previously had to steal of my friend Ainslee. I said I would send her some drawings in exchange, so I got to drawing, with my new set of staedtler fine-liners which I bought from Officeworks today along with some sticker paper (I plan on printing some stickers to put up around Melbourne). Anyway the below drawing is what I came up with, I am trying to use more colour, which I normally shy away from. The text is a line from a short story called 'boat'.
text reads: 'but because you are too old to understand how it is that a boat becomes a moth or a moth a boat, you have to stop believing him'
'How a Moth Becomes a Boat' contains a a tender sadness and longing in every line, with images of L.Ps stored in pantries, of smashing whiskey bottles against houses among other things. It gave me shivers down my spine.

No comments: